Saturday, July 17, 2010

Unit 6 - Universal Loving-Kindness (Mickey)

Hello Fellow Bloggers!

I hope you are having a wonderful week this Unit 6!

My experience with the Universal Loving-Kindness exercise was "ok". In my laziness, I believe that I would rather listen to someone telling me to relax and breath than read about affirmations. I believe that affirmations like those given to us in our p93 Universal Loving-Kindness exercise were definitely well worth saying and repeating. The only thing I can think of is that I felt a lack of calmness with regard to this exercise. I was waiting for an overwhelming feeling of calm and contentment like I received with most of our exercises. With the four lines of affirmations, I feel more impowered to go make a difference in the world. I do not feel stress or pressure but more of a motivation to help. Perhaps that was the goal of saying the lines ten times.

During my self-discovery assessment exercise (Dacher, p115), I have realized that I need to spend more time developing my spiritual self in the fourth quadrant of world (I hope I am saying that right). To flourish in this quadrant which I never spend much time in, I believe volunteering at my local recreation department would help. In our city, as probably with a lot of cities in the United States, our city recreation department budget has been cut to almost nothing. The kids are not being able to play summer league sports which keeps them occupied during the off hours. This leaves our youth at risk for poor behavior choices. I believe that I need to be more generous with my time to the community to raise my spiritutual being.

Blessings

5 comments:

  1. Hello Mickey,
    I enjoyed reading your post. It is great that the exercises are working for us in this class. Anytime we can find good practices that reduce stress and further wellness it is a great thing. I too have found some of the exercises more beneficial or enjoyable than others. The affirmations were great and help us believe that we are empowered. I would also like to make some time to help with community efforts. I do participate in community clothing drives to help women get back into the working world which is a great thing that empowers many women in my area but I know I could do more.
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mickey,

    I love your honesty regarding the affirmations. I can relate with the feeling of "waiting". I think, for me, I was trying too hard and didn't really relax enough into the meditation. My focus was off - more into saying the words than embracing their meaning. After a second attempt, I found it to be more effective. It was then that I felt more empowered. The fact that you felt a willingness to help is monumental. We could definitely use more of that in the world.

    dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mickey,
    Great post. You and I were totally on the same page regarding the Universal Loving Kindness exercise. As for the integral assessment portion, I think you have a really great idea for what you can do to improve yourself and also help those around you. Youth is a great place to focus as they are the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mickey,
    Volunteering is itself a great way to practice loving kindness. In my mind the two are synonymous. It is also encouraging to know that you are able to go through your day feeling more empowered. This is also a way loving kindness is spread. Your energy will make other feel more empowered and thus you are spreading the love. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mickey,
    I think it's fantastic that you want to volunteer with the youth. Kids really need people in their lives who can be there to guide them and support them in every aspect. A spiritual walk can take years to develop but it sounds like you are well on your way. :)
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete